Jeremy Weinstein is active in areas of corporate finance, risk management, derivatives, greenhouse gas mitigation projects and emissions trading. He is prominent in the most exciting, developing areas of environmental finance, advising major industrial companies on emissions trading and mitigation strategies relating to climate change and the Kyoto Protocol, California Renewable Portfolio Standard requirements, and negotiating and documenting significant weather derivative transactions. Jeremy Weinstein was awarded the 2007 Distinguished Service in Environmental Markets Award by the Environmental Markets Association (EMA). He is the EMA co-chair of the joint ABA/EMA/ACORE working group that published a standard form of master renewable energy certificates trading contract. He is active with Canopy Botanicals, a Bolivian sustainable development company established to help fund the Noel Kempff Climate Action Project, a rainforest preservation joint venture of The Nature Conservancy, American Electric Power, PacifiCorp, and BP, and also worked on the Rio Bravo Carbon Sequestration Pilot Project, a rain forest preservation project in Belize funded by American utilities and others. He has addressed national conferences on topics in weather derivatives, renewable energy certificates (also known as or "green tags"), emissions trading, and venture debt.
ArticEMA Chairperson, Gary Payne, awarding Jeremy Weinstein with the Distinguised Service in Environmental Markets Award at the 11th Annual Spring Conference in Boston, Massachusetts. Mr. Weinstein was recognized for his contributions on the Master Renewable Energy Certificate Purchase and Sale Agreement.
Articles by Jeremy Weinstein, Esq.
Jeremy Weinstein has written extensively on important emerging issues in environmental finance, including:
- "The New ABA/EMA/ACORE Master Renewable Energy Certificate Trading Agreement," Kramer and Fusaro, Energy and Environmental Trading: US Law and Taxation (2008);
- "New Master Renewable Energy Certificate Trading Agreement," American Bar Association Energy Committees Newsletter, May 2007;
- "On the Path to Renewable Energy Certificates Derivatives," Futures & Derivatives Law Report, Apr. 2007;
- Introduction and Guidance Notes, ABA/EMA/ACORE Master Renewable Energy Certificate Purchase and Sale Agreement, Feb. 2007 (with other working group members credited therein);
- "Contracting for a Unified Renewable Energy Certificates Market," Environmental Finance, Nov. 2006;
- "Standardizing Renewable Energy Certificates Contracting," Environmental Finance, May 2005 (with Dan Chartier);
- "A Western Renewables Marketplace," Environmental Finance, Apr. 2004;
- "Examining Enron's SO2 Emission Trades," Environmental Finance, Mar. 2003;
- "Using the Emissions Marketing Association Master Agreement," The Emissions Trader, Mar. 2003;
- "Carbon-Denominated Weather Swaps," Environmental Finance, Nov. 2001;
- "Weather Derivatives for Environmental Risk Management," Energy & Power Risk Management, Sep. 2001;
- "Emissions Trading: The Market as Mystic," Energy & Power Risk Management, Nov. 2000; and
- "Innovative Financing and Forest Conservation," Environmental Finance, Jun. 2000.
Activities and Resources in Areas of Environmental Finance